Specialization and Featured Services
TMRC is a specialized financial institution that provides long-term funding to banks. Initially TMRC started lending to Primary Mortgage Lenders (PML) utilizing a $30 Million loan from the World Bank.
TMRC is a wholesale secondary market institution (refinancing mortgage loan portfolios rather than individual mortgage loans and catering to banks rather than individual borrowers) and is owned by its users i.e. members. It neither takes deposits nor lend directly to individuals. It operates on commercial principles and its narrow and specialized mission will strengthen the credit quality of the bonds it will be issuing and its transparency and simplicity will reduce the regulatory burden.
To this end, the mission of TMRC shall be “To source funds in Tanzanian financial market as efficient as possible and channel the same to member banks at competitive rate which will facilitate access to housing by Tanzanian population while contributing to the development of capital markets”.
- Banks that become TMRC shareholders can get their mortgage loans refinanced at a reasonable interest rate and a longer term.
- TMRC will only provide liquidity to its shareholding banks.
- TMRC can help PMLs to better match their assets and liabilities and thus avoiding maturity mismatch risk.
- TMRC will provide lower cost of funds to PMLs, which can lead to lower mortgage interest rates, thereby improving affordability and extending the range of potential borrowers.
- Once established and operational, TMRC will start to raise capital by issuing corporate bonds in the capital markets.
- TMRC acts as a simple intermediary between mortgage lenders and the capital markets.
- TMRC's bonds are risk weighted at 20% for the purpose of calculating the capital adequacy ratios of banks
- TMRC's bond are eligible to serve as liquidity reserve holding of banks for the purpose of calculating liquidity ratios as required by Bank of Tanzania
- TMRC's bonds will be tradable at the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange.